Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Dream Team can't lose


Recently, I've been hearing the debate that this years USA Olympic basketball team could beat the first ever Olympic team formed of professional basketball players in 1992.

That team was deemed the "Dream Team" and even Kobe Bryant has come out and said his team could win against that '92 squad.  My question to Kobe is, "Are you seriously crazy?"

Before you ask, yes I was a youngster when the team led by Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird...etc was rocking the world but that doesn't mean that I no longer follow basketball.  It doesn't even mean that I don't like today's players. Quite the contrary, I am a fan of Kobe and a fan of Lebron James among others.

And now after the team has played in some exhibition games, I can't fathom that this squad which has struggled against the likes of Argentina and Spain could overcome a team that's smallest margin of victory was 32 points which came in the gold medal game against Croatia in Barcelona.

The average margin of victory for the team was almost 44 points and with 14 combined victories between the Olympic games and the Tournament of the Americas, which was an exhibition warmup, there is no doubt in my mind that the original Dream Team would blister the team led by Bryant on both ends of the court.

Nearly all of the 1992 teams' players were at or near their prime and the post presence of Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Karl Malone, and Charles Barkley cannot be rivaled by today's squad.

Sure, their is the existence of the so-called hybrid players of the present game but the lack of post play on offense or even a big man to shut down the paint on defense will leave this years' squad searching for answers.

I am rooting for our 2012 Olympic team and I am hoping that at the end of the London games they are standing in the center receiving their gold medals but regardless, in my mind they will always settle for silver when they face the Dream Team!!

No comments:

Post a Comment