Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The Steelers Offensive Line has got to get it right

Is it just me or have we seen a recurring problem with this team on offense for the last few years?  I know it was just 2009 when they won the Super Bowl and a couple years later they returned to the big game in 2011 but there is something not quite right with the path of the team recently as it relates to the offense.

Almost any Steelers fan has some bit of old school philosophy that desires a strong defense and a run first approach.  While it is not the Steel Curtain, I have less problems with the defense than I do the offense.  I can't remember a time that the team has had a consistent running game since Jerome "The Bus" Bettis retired.

The only running I have been seeing lately is when Big Ben is running for his life to avoid defenders as he tries to make one of his improvisational passes.  The problem is that this isn't backyard football although it might as well be with the lack of an offensive line at times.  If the pass protection isn't breaking down, then the run game is getting swallowed up at the line of scrimmage.

Sure there are instances when someone can break off a big run or find a seam in the defense but more often than not, the men in the trenches are getting beaten by opposing defensive fronts.  I heard last night on the broadcast about the recent drafts and acquisitions of many new faces on the offensive line but for whatever reason, those additions aren't equating to success in the offense.

I'm not a coach and don't perpetuate myself as a guru but there is a problem that needs to be addressed immediately.  I know things won't automatically click to where the blocking schemes begin to execute flawlessly.  I also know that there may be other areas for opportunity for this team in order to succeed.

However, I do feel like if this area isn't addressed in a positive matter in the near future, we won't be seeing the six time Super Bowl champions (who have appeared in the big game 8 times) playing in February anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment