Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Should the Redskins have to change their name?

Before I get into this too much, this was initiated by an article I read by Phil Mushnick in the New York Daily Post.  Mike Wise(@MikeWiseGuy) tweeted the article with a question asking what his followers thought.

Here is my response:

I think this issue has been publicized more by the media and has blown out of proportion the need for a name change.

I am sure there are Native Americans who are not necessarily happy with the name but where are they?  Where are the lawyers that are threatening to sue if the name is not changed out of respect to a group they are representing?

I know that there have been prior suits but the few attempts that were made were unsuccessful.  Polls have even shown results that the majority including Native Americans do not have a huge issue with the name or feel the name MUST be changed.

One year after their birth in 1932, the Boston Braves names was changed from the Braves to the Redskins.  Was their controversy then?  I would think, if so, the Braves are a better reflection of Native Americans than Redskins right?

Yes, it was a different time then and people's rights especially regarding minorities have been allowed to be taken to the public and accepted since then.  Yet I still don't see anyone but certain media groups blowing it up.

I'm not a Washington Redskins fan.  I grew up just the opposite and now that I am older and have formed my own views I don't necessarily hate the team but I'm not a fan of the team either.

I understand issues of equality and being politically correct at times so that we don't offend people but why when a name has been in existence nearly 80 years is this an issue now?  People weren't given rights and privileges they were previously denied just yesterday.

Maybe it's a ploy to generate cash by striking up something that people will take interest in although only few actively pursue it.  Maybe not, but until the offended show up in public in large groups and/or pursue aggressive action to change the name because it hurts them and their ancestors so much, what or who is making this such a big deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment